Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Death of an Atheist

http://m.winonadailynews.com/news/opinion/article_d2967ec8-2b87-11e1-b1f2-0019bb2963f4.html

This article was posted in the Winona Daily News today.  This article WOULD be posted in the Winona Daily News today.  Of course, it in turn would be re posted to facebook and while I was reading the article my blood started to flow and the hair on my neck started to stand on end. 

First case in point, what mediocre writer would sit there and post something bad about Christopher Hitchens, one of the best writers ever to live.

Next case in point, I HIGHLY doubt that atheism is the smallest minority group for religion.  If it is, I wish this writer would have provided proof of some sort (ha maybe that's the atheist in me), or at least some research on this.  You can have an opinion but if you can't back it up then don't post it like it is a fact.  I'm sorry you can't just believe a fact is true if you haven't seen it before.  I do agree that it's possible, if you combine all religions.  You know - like Buddhism, Hinduism, Scientology, and so forth.  In that case, of course it would be the minority but I know this writer is only talking about Christianity, the only religion that matters, right?

In addition, I was really angry by how they said that if there is no God than why do we do community service?  What would be the purpose to do community service?  So basically, atheists are these terrible, bad people that are not good enough at heart to want to do community service unless the holy lord command them to?  This may come as a huge surprise but I'm going into a field called counseling that helps people.  Everyday I plan on doing service to people to help them get better.  My wanting to do this never ending servitude to people has NOTHING to do with religion.  The author tries to provide a meaning for this by throwing a scripture of some sort but if you are atheist this argument comes up very flawed and short.  The problem with spouting off bible verses to someone who isn't your religion is pretty in affective.  If they don't read it, or believe in it, then the information is moot.

I'm pretty sure Christopher Hitchens didn't think anything at the end of his life like what this writer posted.  But, I guess if he doesn't need proof about God than I guess he wouldn't need proof about what Christopher Hitchens was thinking and feeling before he died.  He can just believe he knows and that can be his unfortunate truth.

The most important thing about being alive is to be a good person.  To have an appreciation and acceptance of people who are different than you and have different beliefs than you do. Atheism is a belief.  It may be one of the most looked down upon views a person can have. But it's not any different than believing in a religion.  People need to honor others beliefs and be respectful even if it's not the most popular and sought after view around.  Because if you aren't doing that, in theory, are you being a good person?  If you really want to get into Heaven maybe it's time you learn to practice and live what you preach.

No comments:

Post a Comment